Ethos, Vision and Values
This vision is underpinned by the School’s work in actively promoting the core British values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those from all faiths and none, and of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
All members of the School’s professional team – from senior leaders to newly qualified teachers and support staff – are encouraged to embody these positive values themselves and, as role models, to transmit them to pupils at Whitchurch.
Whitchurch School believes that one of the key aims of education is to inculcate positive values – and optimism – within young learners that they carry throughout their lives, and that enable them to fulfil their potential. ‘Values’ are tried and tested ‘principles’ that shape mindsets and guide behaviour.
By providing children with a broad, balanced and creative curriculum, one that is anchored in these shared values and delivered through teaching of the highest standard, the team seeks to offer children the opportunity to achieve academic excellence and, alongside this, to develop a lifelong love for learning. This encourages children’s self-confidence and sense of self-worth, as well as respect, affection and support for their fellow learners so that they too can become leaders of learning.
The School’s rounded programme of assemblies and extra-curricular events, meanwhile, seeks to advance children’s individual spiritual, moral, and social growth, empowering them to cultivate their sense of responsibility, both as individuals and for others, based on the ethical values essential for sustaining a caring and compassionate civil society.
These curricular and extra-curricular activities overlap and intersect with one another and soon become fused together in every child, generating in each of them such qualities as self-discipline, self-belief, courage and empathy for others, thereby equipping them with the intellectual and emotional resources to lead fulfilled lives themselves – and to provide leadership to their peers.
In consultation with its wider school community, Whitchurch has adopted 6 Core Values. These values are at the heart of the School’s vision and underpin the ambitious code by which its professional team abides by – and the high expectations it has of its children and staff.
Our Core Values
- To promote social, cultural, moral and spiritual development, supporting pupils and staff to become confident, responsible leaders in their community.
- To build strong collaborative partnerships with families and the local community that are mutually inclusive, respective and supportive.
- To provide a broad, balanced and creative curriculum that combines excellence in teaching with enjoyment of learning.
- To promote lifelong learning through high quality continual professional development for all staff and by developing a learning culture throughout the school.
- To create a stimulating environment that reflects the School’s values and promotes a sense of self-worth and community responsibility.
- To recognise and plan for a range of diverse needs and interests, to ensure all children have equal access to the curriculum so that all have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
- To establish an atmosphere in which each individual has a positive self-image and where individual achievements are valued by all.
- To include all members of the school community in the process of school improvement and self-evaluation.
At Whitchurch we centre children’s education around not only their academic progress but their progress as individual people and citizens. We offer a wide range of experiences and activities that, combined with our general school policies and aim, promote each child’s personal development of the core values needed to be a successful and valuable member of our society. We believe in educating the children in our care to be good citizens and to develop the skills they need to have a successful and productive life.
We celebrate the immense cultural diversity in out school and community through visits, assemblies and more whilst holding in the centre of that what it is to be a British citizen. We provide a broad and balanced PSHE, Citizenship, RE and SMSC curriculum which explicitly teaches the children the importance of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths.
We are committed to keeping Whitchurch children safe and happy in order for them to grow and flourish to their full potential in all aspects of their lives.
Rights Respecting School
Whitchurch Primary School is a rights respecting school. We are committed to upholding the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a Child. We look for opportunities within the curriculum to increase children’s awareness and understanding of their rights. We promote a Rights Respecting ethos within the school.