At Whitchurch Primary and Nursery School, we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. As one of the core subjects, we give the teaching of science the prominence it requires. We aim to equip pupils with knowledge, skills and understanding and to encourage children to be inquisitive throughout their time at Whitchurch. Throughout the programmes of study, the children will acquire and develop the key knowledge that has been identified within each unit and across each year group. We will ensure that the Working Scientifically skills are built-on and developed throughout children’s time at the school so that they can apply their knowledge of science when using equipment, building arguments and explaining concepts confidently. We will encourage them to continue asking questions and to be curious about the world around them.
At Whitchurch, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics;
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future;
- develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge;
- use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including ICT, diagrams, graphs and charts;
- develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety;
- develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery;
encompass outdoor learning to create meaningful experiences within their natural environment;
- a wider curriculum which provides many opportunities to apply and deepen children’s understanding of science;
- develop confidence and motivation to continue to further cultivate their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
Science Leader: Miss Nickson